This CD highlights Russia's rich history of folklore and folktales portrayed in the music of Prokofiev. It also features world premiere recordings of traditional Russian folk songs in new arrangements by Kutik, Michael Gandolfi, and Kati Agócs. the album was recorded with pianist Anna Polonsky and produced by Grammy Award winner Jesse Lewis.
The Death of Juliet and Other Tales is meant to be a weaving of tales, a gossamer connecting Prokofiev’s Solo Sonata for Violin, Sonata No. 2, Op. 94a, and the exquisite "Parting Scene and Death of Juliet" (arr. Borisovsky) from Romeo and Juliet, to five Russian folk melodies Kutik fell in love with as a child: Kalinka (arr. Agócs), Yablochka (arr. Gandolfi), V Pole Bereza Stoyala (arr. Kutik) Song of the Volga Boatmen (arr. Gandolfi), and V Lesu Rodilas Elochka (arr. Kutik) – a beloved children’s folk song synonymous with Christmas.
Read Yevgeny's notes about the music.
Catalog: Mar 623
1. V Lesu Rodilas Elochka - Traditional (arr. Yevgeny Kutik)
2. Parting Scene and Death of Juliet - Sergei Prokofiev (arr. Borisovsky)
3. Song of the Volga Boatmen Traditional (arr. Michael Gandolfi) -
4. Kalinka for Solo Violin - Ivan Larionov (1860) (arr. Kati Agócs)
Sergei Prokofiev - Sonata for Solo Violin in D major, Opus 115
7. Allegro con Brio
8. V Pole Bereza Stoyala - Traditional (arr. Yevgeny Kutik)
9. Yablochka - Traditional (arr. Michael Gandolfi)
Sergei Prokofiev - Violin Sonata No. 2 Op. 94bis
13. Allegro con brio